I’ve been noticing some weird behaviour in Google’s blog search recently that makes me suspect that are testing new features and possibly a new back end or index. Firstly, I noticed changes between different attempts to search for the same item. There was a significant reduction in the number of results with many legitimate posts missing. Secondly, I’ve started to notice hits for search terms that are not in the post. For example, a search for “political streams” brings up this post from Blog About Stats which doesn’t mention the phrase, but which (as of the time of writing) has it in a title of a post under it’s ‘Recent Posts’ list. The strange thing is that this feed isn’t partial. I had originally thought that Google was attempting to fill in partial feed data and getting it wrong, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.